Tuesday, 31 March 2015

WELCOME TO NEW YORK


Last weekend my Mum and I were lucky enough to spend some time in New York. We'd never been to America before and so had absolutely no idea what to expect. It was incredibly foggy when we arrived, and so we missed the initial celebrated view of the skyline on the way into Manhattan. Although there were sighs from almost everyone on the coach, in retrospect I'm actually glad we didn't get to see it just then. Not having a clue what to expect made the arrival into the city so much more of a surprise. I think it took me about 30 seconds of being surrounded by buildings disappearing endlessly upward into the fog to fall in love with the place.




I think it's easy to have preconceptions about big cities, and before arriving both my Mum and I were slightly intimidated by the idea of the place. The typical stereotype of New York is as a loud, fast paced metropolis that never sleeps. For us, two reasonably quiet people from a seaside town in South East England, this was understandably a scary prospect.



Despite this, and despite everything being absolutely huge, we both felt there was such a sense of community to the place. Everyone was so friendly and helpful! The pace of life wasn't actually as fast as we thought, and in fact it was actually comfortably slow compared to that of London. People actually spoke to eachother, cared about eachother even. For once in our lives, we didn't actually feel afraid to speak to people. If I'm honest, the scale of everything didn't make me feel small, it made me feel included.



I think one of the reasons the city appeals to me personally is the wealth of artistic history behind it. It is home to some of the most famed contemporary art in the world, as well as boasting some incredible architecture. New York saw the birth of the consumer culture that was so inspiring to Pop Artists, and the rise of the real life 'Mad Men'. As the setting for numerous films throughout the years, the city really does evoke a sense of being partly in another era. I guess this nostalgia, the idea of it as a city trapped partly in screens and on canvas, is a reason why it intrigued me so much.





If I had to pick a highlight, for me it has to be Times Square. There's something about those bright lights that is totally hypnotising and I fell under their spell immediately. Everything was just so big, and you can't put into words the feeling of those huge buildings and billboards surrounding you from every side.


I've spent my whole life listening to songs portraying the city as a place where 'anything is possible', a city where all your wildest dreams can come true. Be being me, I'd always passed it off as just a cliched romantic vision. After visiting, however, I can totally understand why New York has this reputation. There is something magical about it. However cringey it sounds, this place does have the power to touch people. There is no doubt that whether it's because of the bright lights, the huge buildings or the sense of belonging to another era, Manhattan is both hypnotising and inspiring.


I've been to so many wonderful places in my life, and I really hope to go to many more. They've all touched me in different ways, but no place has opened my eyes quite as much as New York has. If there was ever an advert for travel, it would be this place. If you haven't been, I recommend it.

Where is your favourite place in the world?
Elly xxx

follow me on:

15 comments:

  1. Great post...love the photos...I have never been to NY..I am from UK also but I am planing to go in july...looking so forward to it ;-)

    http://www.fashionpumpkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! I am going to New York on Saturday for a week, I have never been before either - this has made me even more excited! x

    The Fashion Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Philly, which is so close to NYC, but I haven't been there in so long! I definitely need to make a trip there this summer :)
    Enclothed Cognition
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruges is definitely my favourite place! Its such a small little city i absolutely love it!
    Jess x
    www.momentsofbeautywars.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has made me want to travel to NY so much more, it's perfect in so many ways.

    www.mycluelessmind.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This time last year I'd just got back from New York for my birthday and I can honestly tell you it's the best place I've ever been in my life. I know everyone says this, but like you it just absolutely amazed me! The post was a great read and took me right back to that time 😭 haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome :) So glad you had fun! I went to new york a couple of years ago and it was so amazing, can´t wait to go again ! :) xx

    dresses-and-travels //@susandollparts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic pictures - looks like such a wonderful place, I'd love to visit! <3

    I have a new outfit post up on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post! I cannot wait to go to NY soon :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm seriously loving this post! New York is somewhere I'm desperately hoping to visit one day! x

    I'm a newbie blogger hoping to make some blogging friends, if you're interested! :3

    www.chontellelouise.blogspot.com.au

    x Chontelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos are amazing! ;)
    http://hanaylena.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely! I love big cities, New York is definitely high up on the list!
    P.S. Check out the giveaway on my blog if you have a chance!

    christie | christieashey.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos! I've never been but I loved Paris as a city!
    Sophie Jenner
    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so right, New York is amazing! Definitely one of my favourite places I've been to, there's so many cool things to see and do and just makes me feel great!

    I wrote a post a while ago on my visit : http://josievictoriaa.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/new-york-new-york.html

    Josie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, they make my day xxx