Sunday, 15 March 2015

HOW TO: EASY AND TASTY 'DETOX' WATER


With spring and summer finally approaching, I thought it would be nice to share one of my favourite "recipes" for a refreshing summer drink. I have to own up and say that this wasn't completely my idea - it was inspired by one of my old flatmates who used to make it a lot (so thanks Holly!). I think a lot of people can be put off by recipes like this because they feel they scream "health-freak-gym-30-times-a-week-raw-eggs-for-breakfast", but honestly - don't be frightened! I wouldn't describe myself as the definition of health either, but we have to start somewhere. This recipe is so quick and easy and is a really healthy and cheap alternative to buying flavoured waters and fizzy drinks. Plus, if you drink it out of a pretentious vintage mason jar like I tend to it can look super-professional too! So let's get started. 

All you really need to make this is a variety of fruit/vegetables that you think will go well together, and a water bottle or glass to put your drink in. I've chosen cucumber, lemon and lime for my drink, as I know they compliment each other well and I love the taste! You can also add mint to this combination if you like, but I'm not the biggest fan so I'm leaving that out. All of these ingredients are great antioxidants, providing loads of vitamins and keeping you hydrated at the same time. Drinking a water like this has loads health benefits that you just don't get from caffeinated drinks - it can aid digestion, boost your immune system and give you an extra boost of energy. 



All you need to do now is slice them up according to taste. Decide which flavours you want to dominate (bit of a 50 Shades word choice but you get me), and then slice your chosen ingredients proportionately to that.  Lemon can be quite overpowering if you put too much in so bear that in mind if you don't like really bitter lemon!


Once you've sliced up your ingredients (make sure they're cut up small enough that they fit into your water bottle or glass), just pop them into your chosen container.


Now all you need to do is add water and pop your drink in the fridge. I usually leave mine overnight to make a really fruity flavour to match my personality, but if you don't have time for that a few hours will do. You can, of course, drink it straight away and it will still taste good, but I would advise leaving it in the fridge for at least a little while if you want it to be really tasty and refreshing.

And there you have it! Quick, healthy, tasty and really refreshing. The best part is that you can reuse the fruit a couple of times, so it's really cost effective.

What do you think? Let me know if you love these drinks as much as I do!
Elly xxx

follow me on:




13 comments:

  1. this sounds amazing, ive tried lemon water before but the addition of the cucumber sounds so refreshing! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2015/03/feeling-like-luckiest-girl-in-world.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, I'm definitely going to try it!!

    www.lifestylefunxion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting a detox this week. Gonna try this.
    I love flavoured waters.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great!

    www.ramblingsofanotherunistudent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try it!

    I am following you on gfc, would you like to follow me back so we can stay in touch?

    http://mypetitecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh nice so fresh!!
    Kisses from Spain.
    Xoxo, P.

    My Showroom




    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks sooo good, this was literally all I was drinking last summer! Great post.
    xxx
    http://mellowusu.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks soooo tasty and fresh!!! YUMMMMM!!!!
    Got to make some!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love drinks in a mason jar. I want all my summer drinks to be served in this way - majorly pretentious but it makes for such pretty instagram pics...

    Definitely going to try this sometime this week - am am keen on my flavoured water.

    little miss fii || Fii x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's cool! I tried a detox week, last week, and it was sooooooo hard.
    Gonna try that def! Looks yummy!!

    I would be sooo happy if we will follow each other and stay in touch, honey!?
    xoxo Colli // tobeyoutiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting! I like this post I would be trying this!

    http://k-valerie.blogspot.co.uk

    kellie, x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting! I like this post I would be trying this!

    http://k-valerie.blogspot.co.uk

    kellie, x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing! I will definitely try it x
    PS Love your blog x

    Jana
    Life of Jana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, they make my day xxx